Monday, October 4, 2010

Art Challenge (or Art Exercise)

So I've been trying to get into watercolor painting for a little while now. I bought a book on the subject, dabbled very little with the paints and brushes, but now I want to get into it. So taking a little cue from comic book artist Ben Templesmith, I've created a simple line art drawing that I intend to work on with watercolors.

Now this is the part where you say, "Great, another wannabee artist is showing me his shitty finger paintings...again." Well, yes and no. See, Templesmith had this great idea to post the line art he was working on to let any Joe (or Jane) Schmoe have a crack at coloring, shading, etc. the piece in question, any way they wanted (PhotoShop, watercolor, acrylic, sand, fire, etc.) and then posted the results on his blog. So here's the challenge (or exercise), I'm going to post the (very simple) line art I did, you guys (and gals) work on it and post what you've done, and I will post my watercolor attempt up here in probably about a week.

Here's the line art (click on the picture for the full size version):




Yeah, it's good ole Robbie the Robot from Forbidden Planet. I'm actually shooting towards making a little collection of drawings of all the famous movie and tv sci-fi robots. Shoot me a question down in the comments section if you have any, or you can also get in touch with me on Facebook. Have at it, and have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment