Saturday, July 28, 2012

Throg! Frog of Thunder!

A couple of nights ago I decided to try screwing around with pastels again, especially since it's been a few years since I last touched them. So I cleared off the workspace, plopped down the pad of 19" X 24" I had lying here, and went to work. 


Recently, I've been watching the animated Ultimate Spider-Man online (because for some reason Disney XD is a 'premium' channel, and I don't get it). One of the last episodes I watched had Thor being turned into a frog by his brother Loki. For those of you that don't know, there's a long story behind Throg and the other Pet Avengers. Suffice to say, that was my inspiration in today's piece. Behold! Throg! Frog of thunder!



I had forgotten how hard (and messy!) it was working with pastels. I actually had to go out and buy some blending sticks since I didn't have any laying around (again, it has been a few years since I've touched pastels). Once I got into it, I had a bit of fun. Working with pastels harkens back to finger painting as a child, except that if you want anything recognizable to come out of the effort, you really do need to plan the composition ahead of time. 

So there you have it. Let me know what you think in the comments section below. 

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment