Monday, March 14, 2011

Experiment #5,249

Remember way back when I started this blog I said I'd try my hand at watercolor painting? Well, I finally got around to it. What? I've been busy! There have been window displays (which the next one should be done and up right before Wondercon), and a special surprise that I've been working on that should see the light of day at Wondercon (more on that as it comes together).

Anyway, I digress. Like I said, I finally got around to using watercolors. Mind you, these are just tests using one color to see how to use gradients, washes, and to see how the paint flows. 

The first one I'm pretty happy with even though I didn't plan out the placement of the window panes, lines, etc. I was also getting used to the idea of using an exacto blade to scratch into the paint after it dried to get that sun-dappling effect. This was done with burnt umber color on watercolor paper.

On the other hand, this one (which I affectionately call "The Crapshack") was planned out as you can see by the heavy pencil lines. Unfortunately, it didn't work as well as the window treatment did, but it did teach me patience with watercolors. 

I'm so used to acrylic paints and how quickly they dry AND how easy it is to go over an area to cover up mistakes, that I wasn't prepared for the beading up of water and waiting to dry, etc. of watercolors. 

There you have it. My first (but not last) foray into a different painting medium. Let me know what you think by posting below.

No comments:

Post a Comment